Never released Atari 2600 Xevious game discovered

Old School Console Game Systems + Games. Atari 2600, NES, Intelivision, Coleco, & more...
labnip

Never released Atari 2600 Xevious game discovered

Postby labnip » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:41 pm

Ancient Atari 2600 Arcade Port emerges for the World to finally see after 31 years :o

Xevious

Here's a quick looping sample of the newly discovered Xevious Atari 2600 game that was never released to the market.

xevious-2600-1(small).gif
xevious-2600-1(small).gif (133.24 KiB) Viewed 1858 times

The discovered cartridge was created on Jan 18, 1984. Holy cow that a long time ago.
The Digital Game Museum (in Santa Clara) came across a near-complete version of the cancelled Atari 2600 version of arcade classic Xevious. Behold the primitive glory of what passed for a console port in the early ‘80s.

For those of you that haven’t been alive and gaming for as long as I have, Xevious was a scrolling arcade shooter released in 1982 by Namco. With sharp graphics and relatively frenetic action, it was one of my go-to games whenever I’d steal quarters from my grandmother’s purse and hit up the local arcade.

Here’s the video of the original stand-up arcade video game:

Here's the video of the Atari 2600 port. Note, audio (music & sound FX) come & go during the game video. Check your volume.
Also, whoever recorded the video was terrible at this game ;)

As it did with many popular arcade titles, Atari had planned ports of Xevious for both the Atari 2600 and 5200. Both were cancelled in 1984. In progress versions of the 2600 version have been floating around since, but have lacked a title screen, final sprites, enemy waves, and music.

Then this showed up at the Digital Game Museum as part of a donation of Atari memorabilia.

xevious-2600-2.jpg
xevious-2600-2.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 2040 times

It’s got everything earlier prototypes were missing. Titles, sound—everything. It’s an incredibly impressive find, even if the game itself looks pretty ridiculous by today’s standards.

“This version of Xevious is one of the most faithful arcade ports I’ve ever played on the Atari 2600,” said Dave Beaudoin, Digital Game Museum board member via official press release. ”The speed and responsiveness combined with the graphics and audio are jaw dropping. It’s amazing they were able to get this kind of performance out of the 2600.”

Sure it’s silly now, but back in the day I would have killed for a chance to play this. The "museum" worked the video game & pinball convention California Extreme so guests of the show get a chance to see, hear & play the game. Guests will be able to play the newly-discovered classic on an Atari 2600 system, with a full arcade version standing by for comparison’s sake.

xevious-2600-3.jpg
xevious-2600-3.jpg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 2040 times

Return to “Retro Game Systems”