DisneyQuest virtual reality arcade closing down

All things for Disney World Orlando Florida including tips, tricks, reports, hotels, transportation, food & entertainment.
Tink

DisneyQuest virtual reality arcade closing down

Postby Tink » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:57 am

Out with virtual reality, in with basketball hoops: DisneyQuest will close next year to make way for an NBA-themed attraction.

The five-story center with video and virtual games opened in 1998 at the entertainment district's West Side. The building is a landmark at Downtown Disney, which is undergoing an expansion.
'It appears DisneyQuest — once planned to be a worldwide chain of 20 virtual-reality centers — fell victim to changing technological times. In an era of smartphone apps, lifelike video games and other interactive attractions, DisneyQuest started to appear dated to many people.

Chris Fouche, 37, of Orlando remembers being "blown away" when it first opened. When he took his 5-year-old daughter last year, though, "wow" quickly morphed into "meh."

"Now it seems really stupid and really cheesy. I have more power in my phone than in that whole building," he said. "But back then, it was a trip."

DisneyQuest's attractions include CyberSpace Mountain, a design-your-own-roller-coaster motion-simulator ride, and Mighty Ducks Pinball Slam, a life-size game in which players stand on a joystick that controls cartoon characters on a screen. DisneyQuest has more-traditional video games too.

A few weeks ago, the majority of the features were out of order, Buzz Lightyear's AstroBlaster broke down, and most of CyberSpace Mountain's simulators didn't work.

"I think they were getting down to fix it up or get rid of it," said Matt Roseboom, editor and publisher of Attractions Magazine. "I think it would have been a huge investment to really do it right just because all those games would need an overhaul or new games brought in."

DisneyQuest will close in 2016 to make way for the NBA Experience.
The experience is not cheap. One-day tickets cost $47.93 for adults and $41.54 for children.

whiteshadow

Re: DisneyQuest virtual reality arcade closing down

Postby whiteshadow » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:14 pm

boooo....

More arcade games & pinball !!!!

labnip

Re: DisneyQuest virtual reality arcade closing down

Postby labnip » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:20 pm

I wonder if there's a buying opportunity?
I've been there over the years, and these machines are heavily played.
The arcade games are in better shape of course.

sorry to see it going away :(

Return to “Disney World”